Monday, July 23, 2012

Momentum Monday: Self-doubt

It's another Monday and start of the work week.  I hope everyone had a great weekend, I know I had a most enjoyable one!

I've been blogging lately about training for the Torchlight 8K race that I will be running on Saturday.  I went to the hosted runs the past couple of Thursday's (thanks Brooks and Road Runner Sports!) and intend on going this Thursday as well.  I have been running outside of those runs, but not as many as I would like to get in.  I've also been extremely excited for this race, even getting some pirate garb to run in just to participate in the theme of Seafair.

Yet...I'm so unsure of my ability to run this race, that it is starting to psyche me out.  I saw a quote the other day posted by the lovely Mom Running on Empty, "There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results." (- Kenneth Blanchard)

This hit me because I feel like maybe I don't have the committment to running that I thought I did.  My family seems to think that my running and racing is a fluke.  They don't see me training or much of the health benefits of running a lot (weight loss), simply because I don't run a lot.  I'm struggling with running numerous times a week.  I'll get really good about it and run 4-5 times in a week, then drop down to 1-2 times a week, all the while touting that I'm a runner.  So I guess I could see their apprehension with my admittance in being a runner, I am having an issue convincing myself at times.

So I figured the only way I can convince myself is to work hard and pursue my goals...and to hell with what every one else thinks.  I know I'm a runner and I run because I want to: be fit, be healthy, push myself, shake off the stress, enjoy the scenery, enjoy life!

So todays Momentum Monday is focused on doing and not listening to the nay-sayers around you and even the ones in your head.

Question:  How do you deal with doubt from your loved ones?  How do you keep if from turning into self-doubt?

No comments:

Post a Comment