Monday, July 9, 2012

Momentum Monday: Fresh Start

Good Monday to you all!  How was your weekend?  I'm fresh off a crazy busy weekend and couldn't be sleepier if I tried!  The weather is GOR-GE-OUS and I'm thrilled that summer has finally arrived in the PNW!


With my weekend having been so busy and not a whole lot of sleep, I woke up super sleepy today and have been borderline falling asleep at my computer most of the morning.  I brought my workout clothes to work with me so that I could go for a lunch time run, though my sleepiness was trying to talk me out of running.  Wait...are you kidding me?  You're gonna listen to that voice, nuh uh.  Yeah, I was looking for an excuse to be lazy, but I realized that I will have more energy if I go for that run.  Wait, you get energy from exerting energy?  That's crazy talk!!  But it worked, I got changed and headed outside. 


The weather was PERFECT, lower 70's with a light breeze coming off the water.  I was about 3/4 of a mile in when my body started fighting back...HARD!  My shins were really weak feeling and started to hurt.  I wonder if that is because I'm wearing heels today?  Can any one answer that riddle?  Everything else was good, I had a bit of a longer stride today which felt good, but I wonder if that was aiding in my tired shins, and my legs felt fresh overall.  For some reason this run was hard and it shouldn't have been.  I know that I'll have good runs and bad runs, so I'm not getting down on myself, I'm just curious as to causation of these more labored runs I encounter.


I got back to work and took a quick shower (gotta love the small changing room and one stall shower available!), now I'm at my desk feeling more energized now then I have all day.  It's amazing how exercise can get you feeling energized, it's such a great byproduct of your hard work.  I have got to remember this nugget of information!  When I got back I drank a bottle of chocolate milk I picked up at the store this morning, Lucerne's Protein + Refuel Chocolate Milk.  It advertises that it has 20g of protein per serving, which is the full 12oz bottle.  It was a buck at the store so I decided to try it, I love chocolate milk and it's a great recovery drink.  The taste is meh at best, don't get me wrong, it tastes like chocolate milk on the tongue, but the after taste is chalky like one of the Premier Protein shakes.  This almost had a malted flavor for those of you that like malt flavor, though I'm not a fan.  Overall, I wouldn't buy it again, but I would drink it if it was available.


It is Momentum Monday and today's run has helped me to feel like I'm creating a good exercise foundation for this week.  Thursday is the first of three weekly training runs leading up to the Seafair Torchlight Run on Saturday July 28th, where I will be running the 8K portion.  The training runs are being put on by Brooks and will be meeting up at Road Runner Sports on Greenlake at 6:30pm.  I feel lucky to be a runner in Seattle where Brooks is heavily involved in the race and running community, and puts on these types of training runs where the community can get together and enjoy a good run and good times in preparation for a race.  Brooks has quickly become one of my favorite sponsors and I just got a pair of their shoes, all I can say is...WOW(!) I'm in love, though I'll save the review for later.  So the momentum mantra for this week is:


This mantra couldn't ring more true for me today.  I have no regrets lacing up my shoes and going for a run this afternoon, it was the best decision I've made all day.


Question for you:  Does wearing heels affect your running? Obviously you aren't going to run in heels, but does it tire your legs out differently than if you weren't wearing them previously?

No comments:

Post a Comment