Monday, January 21, 2013

Momentum Monday: Comfort Zone

I don't know about you, but Mondays are always tough.  I never get quality sleep the night before and I'm already going through my task list of things I need to take care of when I get into work.  It's never conducive to a good nights sleep. 

Especially when it's a holiday Monday and you are practically the only company open for business on that day.  Brilliant.  So instead of sleeping in like most everyone else, I'm at work trying to talk with vendors that are themselves closed for the day.  Double brilliant.  But I digress...

Today is Momentum Monday and with all the training I have been doing lately, this quote seemed to fit pretty well.

 
 
I love this quote because in so many ways, it is so true.  I have never felt so strong and confident as I do after a run, an activity I for so long scoffed at.  Reaching a new distance, improving my time, stomping a challenging course, those are all things that I revel in and am in awe at what I've been able to do, once I got out of my comfort zone.  It's exhilarating, freeing and invigorating.  The joy I get is beyond the soreness I may get or the time crunch it may create at times.  It's worth it, because I'm worth it.  It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but if it was easy then it wouldn't be as rewarding (and you would be doing it already).
 
It is easy for us to say "I can't do that, I've never done that before." "It's not a possibility, it looks like too much time/effort."  It's always so easy to say "no" or "I can't", and always a challenge to say "yes" and "I can" or "I will".
 
Is it the fear of the unknown?  You may have never pushed yourself to that limitation before and you aren't sure how your body will react. 
 
Or is it the fear of failure?  We are in a society that rewards and revers winners, well, not everyone can be a winner and no one wants to be a loser. 
 
Trying is winning, not trying is losing.  Why is that?  Because trying something new is more times than not getting you out of your comfort zone, pushing your personal boundaries and creating new situations to experience.  This can be exciting and terrifying all at the same time. 
 
You never really know what you can accomplish until you push the barriers of your comfort zone.  There could be a talent that you possess that you may have never known unless you tried.  There could be joy waiting to be unlocked with each experience you create.  We are all marvelously complex human beings.  Let's try something new this year...let's get out of our comfort zones at least once.  It may be the best decision you've ever made.
 
 
Question for you:  Have you ever tried something out of your comfort zone and you find something you love and are good at?  Has it turned out not so well?  What was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment