Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Haven't you heard of Shark Week?

Sorry men, but this post isn't what you think it is.  You can turn away if you'd like, otherwise, keep reading.  But I did warn you!

What is Shark Week, you ask?  No, I'm not talking about the Discovery Channel specials here.  It's a code phrase my sister came up with that we use to talk about the week we're on our period.  Why use "Shark Week" and what does that have to do with it?  Um, blood in the water, sharks are present?  Crude, I know, but it helps to disguise our conversation a bit when we're out in public.  Unless you have a guy who overhears your conversation and thinks you're talking about the Discovery Channel Shark week and you have to tell him that's not really what you're talking about.  Awkward.


This is the time of the month that I hate and it's here, a whole week early.  Guess it's good because I will be mostly done by the time my race is here on Sunday.  I hate racing during this time of the month.  It's just not pretty.  I have absolutely TERRIBLE cramps and am a slave to the ibuprofen for three whole days.  Not to mention my flow is absolutely ridiculous for the first three days.  It's especially tough to run for me during these first few days because I'm one of those lucky people in the world that actually got TSS.

You know TSS - Toxic Shock Syndrome.  You know what I'm talking about, it's explained on the little insert in the box telling you what symptoms to look for and to contact a doctor if you have them.  I know you're like me and read those inserts from the tampon box when you're having to stay in the bathroom for a bit longer than you anticipated and you don't have reading material.  Or is that just me?

Anyway, I actually got TSS about 12 years ago and once you have it you are highly susceptible to getting it again.  Meaning no more tampons me for the rest of my life.  Boo hiss.  I'm doomed to pad city forever.  Which makes running just down right uncomfortable especially when you feel like you've got a mattress in between your legs.  Sheesh!

Because of this, my training schedule for this week will be augmented accordingly to save myself for the couple of days that I'm totally useless.  Then I'll be back on the road.  I'm not a training flake, I promise!  I just know that there are some limitations that I can't break, well that is until I find a way to run during those first few days of Shark Week and not make a total mess.  But at this juncture in time, I don't see that happening for me.

Question for you: Do you have issues that keep you from running/exercising during Shark Week?  Or am I being a sissy?

4 comments:

  1. OMG, no tampons for life, that is such a tragedy! And calling that week Shark Week is the funniest thing ever. I'm usually pretty crampy the first couple days but I find that exercising actually helps so I try really hard to stick to my routine and when that doesn't work I just curl up with a heating pad and a bottle of ibuprofen. Being a woman is so tough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that sucks is that I want to exercise during this time. I usually pace when I have horrendous cramps, so I know movement helps. I just have issues those first couple of days, then I'm better. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh! I'm so sorry! Are you able to have an IUD? (I can't remember if I saw something about TSS & IUDs) Because I had awful periods before getting one about a year ago, and my periods are seriously only about 2 days long now. I hadn't gotten one before because I hadn't had kids, but my current OBGYN said that doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm not sure, however the hubs and I are going to start trying for kids soon, so an IUD might not work for me at this point. But it is something to keep in mind, thanks!

      Delete