Monday, September 16, 2013

Momentum Monday: A gift

Hello Monday, here we are again. The beginning to another week and already looking forward to the weekend. HA! This weekend was quite busy for me and also a good one for our local sports teams! The Seattle Sounders won on Friday, my alma mater the University of Washington Huskies beat Illinois on Saturday and the Seahawks beat the 49ers on Sunday. So lots of sports for me this weekend, I was loving it! 

It was also another big weekend for me because I ran for the first time since the Disneyland half. Yes, if you are keeping track at home, that is a two week hiatus. At first I was just physically tired and drained from that weekend and wanted to rest my legs. Then after that, the ball of my left foot was bothering me quite a bit, to the point it hurt to walk or even stand on it. However, that mysteriously went away and my foot feels back to normal again. So I figured, what the hell, I'll go out for a run and see how long I can go.

About a mile into my run, I was hating life. Everything was so out of sync I was just getting frustrated and started to doubt my ability to continue running during my pregnancy. Then around mile 2ish, it all got better. Breathing was easier and my strides were more fluid. Don't get me wrong, I still took walk breaks, more than I normally do. I've made the decision that I still want to run but I'm not out to break any speed records of mine while I'm pregnant, it will put too much strain on my body and the baby.

When my run was over, I had managed to get in 4 miles in just about an hour. Not my best time, but I didn't care, I was glad to be out getting the mileage in. Then I was thinking as I was stretching at how lucky I am to still be able to run while I'm pregnant. I have had friends that when they were pregnant, just getting out of bed each morning was a feat, let alone getting any physical activity in. At this point, this very quote ran through my head and I feel this way everytime I run, regardless if I'm pregnant or not, it still is true to all.

Running really is a gift. It may not be wrapped up in a pretty bow or get delivered to you in your stocking on Christmas morning, but it is more precious than anything you can buy. Having the ability to get out there and get any kind of mileage in on any day that you can, is something not to take for granted. We commonly lament our training runs, huffing and puffing that "I really don't want to run because of (insert long list of excuses)". Then there are those that may be injured or changed in some way that they can't run and all they want to do is have the ability and the freedom to run.

Now I'm not saying that you have to take this so solemnly, I'm just saying this is how I was feeling this past Saturday. Thankful for my run, blessed that I still have the physical capacity to continue to run and grateful for the gift of running. I know how it has changed my life, I marvel as I sit here and think of how changed my life is due to running. I'm literally sitting here in tears (damn hormones), but I can't imagine what I would be doing now if I hadn't started running a couple of years ago. The memories I would have missed making, the amazing friends I never would have met and the clarity I get every time I go out there and pound the pavement.

So the next time you run, take a deep breath, take it all in. Take in this precious gift you have and enjoy every moment of it.

12 comments:

  1. Just how I felt this morning when I ran for the first time in weeks without pain. I savored every moment because I never want to take it for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad to hear about your painfree run!!

      Delete
  2. Running really is a gift. I ran a half marathon yesterday after nursing a foot injury I got three weeks ago (which meant I didn't get almost any training done those three weeks), and for some reason my foot decided to cooperate and let me finish the half marathon without pain. I didn't make my sub-2:00 goal (did it in 2:06) because I purposely ran conservatively, but I am thrilled I finished and will be able to run again because I didn't overdo it.

    Great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You were still able to run a half in 2:06 while still nursing an injury! You are amazing, my friend. Congrats on the great run!

      Delete
  3. I can count the amount of times I have run since 8/18 on one hand, it's sad. So I actually haven't even realize you hadn't run in two weeks. I am glad you're still able to run, because I was one of those awful pregnant women who did ZERO physical activity while pregnant. Making that baby took all my energy, and it didn't help I stood on my feet for 8hrs a day for work. When I got home I was DONE (and then Abigail decided it was time to wake up and do flips in my belly). Regardless of pace, running is a gift. I hope my "new life routine" continues to get easier, to keep running incorporated into my life. I need it and have missed it these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get into a routine where you can start running again! It's tough when life gets in the way and you struggle to find time. I still struggle to find time (and energy) to get out there and get some mileage done.

      Delete
  4. It's been over 2 weeks since Disneyland and I have yet to run again. :/ You can at least saying you are growing a baby. ;) Tomorrow I'll go out and run, and be thankful that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's alright that it's taken this long to get back out there. Sometimes taking an extended break is nice after all the months of training you've been doing to get you to the race in decent shape, it's tough on your body. So enjoy the time off!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this and agree. I started running around the same time that you did as a friend said let's do the Princess Half Marathon together. It hasn't been the easiest for me but I absolutely love running. I do have those days where it's just miserable to get through but then I think of what I just did. Running truly is a gift to treasure. I hope to meet some of the people I've connected with through the running community to keep this journey going. I'm so glad that you are continuing with this gift while growing your new gift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the wonderful thing about running, not only has it helped me understand myself in a new way and opened up opportunities to me, but it also helped me get to know some really wonderful people I never would have otherwise met! The community I'm a part of is full of fabulous and wonderful people and I'm blessed everyday to know them.

      Delete