Wednesday, June 26, 2013

End of Week 8 Double Dare Training

It's Wednesday, we are over the hump of the week and I can see the weekend slowly creeping closer. This weekend's weather is going to be a doozy for us Seattleite's, in the upper 80's and into the 90's. It's a heat wave for sure! Time to slather on the sunblock and get the fans primed, it's going to be uncomfortably hot up here!

With it being Wednesday, it also is training recap for me.  I'm currently training for the Dumbo Double Dare during the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend, where I will be running a 5K, 10K and half marathon over the course of 2 days. Thusly, proper training is absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I'm excited about this baby!



My training schedule for this past week was:
 
Tuesday:  Run 30 minutes
Thursday:  Run 30 Minutes
Saturday:  Walk 1 Mile
Sunday:  Run 8 Miles
 
This week was the first to have back-to-back training days to start getting your body primed for the rigors of the race weekend.
 
Tuesday's training...second verse, same as the first.  Didn't happen. I didn't run. I was supposed to go to Zumba that day, but I wasn't feeling well, so I went home and took it easy.
 
Thursday was supposed to be a shake out run for me in preparation for the Rock and Roll half marathon on Saturday. It didn't happen though, I can't remember why, but...oh yeah, now I remember. It was pouring cats and dogs all day and that evening after work I was going to my friends birthday celebration. It was a good time and I hadn't seen these ladies in forever, so it was some much needed catching up.
 
Which brings me to Saturday. I ran the Rock and Roll half marathon on Saturday, so I figured my training was set for the weekend. I didn't do any back-to-back training this weekend because I wanted to be fresh for the race and I didn't want to overdo it by running the next day. Recovery was first and foremost on my mind, simply because if I push too hard I could injure myself and run the risk of not being able to participate in this race weekend at all.
 
That's my training for this week, nothing great, but I did run a half marathon, so that should account for something, right? This coming week will be the true entry into this training schedule with back-to-back running in the coming weeks. It's exciting and daunting all at the same time.
 
Now it's your turn: How is your training going? Have you run on back-to-back days before? How do you prepare your body for that type of training?

6 comments:

  1. Your half counts for a lot! For back-to-back training, I take it easy for any runs I have earlier that week. The first run, I take it easy and then push myself harder on the second run- for the actual Dumbo race I'll be doing something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would assume that as well with the back-to-back runs. Based on the training guide, JG suggests an easier run (or walk) the day before you have the higher mileage. Which makes total sense and something I want to emulate race weekend.

      Delete
  2. I got excited when I saw this post in my email "yeah, Thursday Jam"...nope, that's tomorrow. I am enjoying your training post though, they are getting me more in the Dopey training mindset. Right now I feel like my training is going well, but a bit unorthodox. I am run streaking to July 4th so that's been giving me a good taste of running back-to-back, though I will admit my runs are shorter since I am running daily. My end of week mileage is the same though. Next week my official training will commence for Dopey, I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching your run streak and it's impressive. I want to be able to do one of those eventually!

      I'm excited to hear how your Dopey training goes. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny you should ask! ;) I just ran the last 3 days in a row and I feel fantastic! Granted, it was just 4, 3.1, & 3.1 so not long runs like you will be doing, but I actually think it has kept me from stiffening up. On non-run days I normally get pretty stiff and have to do a lot of stretching. This week I haven't had to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For running three days in a row, you logged an impressive amount of miles. Usually I've seen people log less miles than than for consecutive running days. So kudos to you and also your much needed rest day!

      Delete