Friday, November 16, 2012

End of Week 6 Half Marathon training

Thought I would do a bit of a catch up on my training from the past two weeks, since last week I was on hiatus.  A lot and not a lot had happened during the previous weeks training, so let's break it down, shall we?

Week 6 training schedule looked like this:

Tuesday:  30 minute run/walk
Thursday: 30 minute run/walk
Saturday: 3 miles

Last week was RI-DICU-LOUS at work and I just didn't have a lot of time to do anything else but work.  Tuesday was a fail, I didn't get out to run, I was at work until almost 7pm (I start at 6:15am) and I just couldn't do it.

Wednesday I signed up for a class at Flywheel Seattle - SLU, they were holding a charity ride to help raise money for the American Red Cross efforts with Storm Sandy.  It was the first time I had taken a class from Tommy and man, did he kick my butt!!!  I was so woosie from such a hard workout when I left, that when I got into my car I scarfed down the free bag of Popchips and banana I had picked up at Flywheel and guzzled all of my water.  Needless to say I had to chill in my car for a couple of minutes before I could drive home!  Well played Tommy, well played.

Thursday my friend Danielle was up for a run and with a meet up time of 5:30 it forced me to stop working to go run.  We headed over to Myrtle Edwards and did a 5K loop.  It. Was. COLD! toes were frozen for most of the run (I need to get some warmer socks!!), but it was a good run.  We had fun just talking and working on this distance.  We will be running the Jingle Bell Dash on December 9th and want to have a good finish time for this 5K, so during our short runs during the week we are concentrating on speed!  We finished in 38 minutes, not great, but not bad, something to work on.

Saturday was my long run day, on the schedule was 3 miles.  I decided to switch my days because I was signed up for a 5K on the 17th (which is the next Saturday) so I switched the mileage and decided to take on 6 miles.  I was running with Danielle around Lake Union which is conveniently 6 miles.  She was only running 5 miles that day, so we decided that we would start together and that when we got to 5 miles, she would stop and walk the rest of the way and I would continue on for the last mile.
The first couple of miles was the challenge, it was so tough, for both of us.  Our bodies were just not having it, but we pushed on and ran and ran and ran.  I never really got into a rhythm at all during the run.  I did try a new fuel Honey Stinger Chews, they were okay, I'm going to write a review about them later.

We got to the point where we split and I took on the last mile on my own, it was hard but not as hard as I thought it would be.  My pace stayed the same instead of slowing down and I made it to the end point much quicker than I thought I would, but I also was in trouble.  I needed to find a bathroom...and FAST!  This was the first time I had encountered that extremely urgent need to find a bathroom and all the businesses around there were closed, there was no where to go and I had no idea how long it would take Danielle to catch up to me.  Her house is just a block away and I needed to get there...NOW!  She caught up and we walked to her place and I asked to use her bathroom and proceeded to punish it.  Gross I know, I lit a candle in her bathroom for her, it was bad, but I'm glad that I had a place to go because I never would have made it home if I'd driven right afterward.

Me after my 6 miles.  Good, but spent!  Those were probably the best 6 miles I'd run ever, despite my body rebelling against the run.  The other times I'd attempted 6 miles were during 10K races and I always ended up walking a lot more and feeling bad about my time.  This time we stuck to our 9:1 run/walk ratio and it worked really well (that damn one minute walk is so short!!), we got through the mileage quicker than I thought we would and I felt great afterward, well except for the whole bathroom thing.

This next week would be much easier, same schedule but 3 miles for my long run day, a 5K race, woohoo!!   That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment