Monday, August 20, 2012

Momentum Monday: Not Perfect

This past week I dealt with some deep seeded issues.  Namely two culprits: laziness and excuses.  As I watch people's Dailymile workout updates from the previous week appear on my Twitter feed, I become very aware that mine has not posted.  The reason: I. Didn't. Run.

Gasp! What the hell is your problem?

The answer is: I don't know.  I can blame life being too busy, things and events getting in the way.  The heat this past week was such a huge deterrent.  Uh yeah, it sucked to walk let alone try to exercise.  You broke a sweat breathing!  But I let it get in the way.  I let two of my biggest foes and the most influential in my life up till now, win and get the best of me.

So what am I going to do now?  Get down on myself for letting the "detrimental duo" get the best of me this past week?  Or am I going to cut myself some slack and start this week a new with a more motivated outlook?  Then I saw this and had to make it my Momentum Mantra for this week:


In general, I think we as runners, hell even us women, feel like if we haven't been perfect in something, that we have failed miserably.  You feel you've failed in your training because you had a great week of mileage, then Friday through the weekend you only logged a few miles instead of your weekly long run.  Or you feel like you've failed in your nutrition for the week because you indulge in some happy hour with friends you hadn't seen in a while and went over your calorie intake for the day.  Or you feel like you failed because life got in the way and you weren't able to cross off all the items on your weekly goal list.

We aren't perfect and life, if you haven't figured it out already, is far from perfect.  To expect perfection is non-beneficial to your goals, as when you fall short of your own expectations, the feeling of failure can derail you.  To demand determination though, that is where you can flourish and really get to where you want to be.  If you demand determination from yourself, that drive can propel you to go after those goals with pride and conviction.  Whereas expectations of perfection may stall your entire process.

So this week I'm starting anew with a new focus on my determination, not on perfection.  Anyone else with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment