Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Liebster Award

Recently I have received this award nomination by three different bloggers.  I am incredibly humbled and thankful for the recognition of my little blog here and feel even more thankful to have gotten to know the lovely ladies who nominated me.  The nominating parties were: Amalia at Live. Travel. Eat. Run., Sarah at Mom Running on Empty, and Jesica at Run on Organic.  These three lovely ladies are all gems of people and have great content on their blogs, please take a look at and support them as well!

The Liebster award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers.  The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.  It’s given to new bloggers by other bloggers, and the rules are as follows.
Rules for receiving this award:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Then answer the questions the tagger sent for them, plus create 11 questions for the people they’ve tagged to answer.
3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Notify the people you have tagged.
5. No tag backs.
Since I have received three tags, I will be taking four questions from each of the nominations to answer, that way I don't bore you with a lengthy Q&A session about me.  Now on to the nitty-gritty!

11 things about me:
1. I HATE spiders! I'm a huge arachnaphobic.  One of the most endearing traits of my husband is his ability to deal with my freakouts when I find a spider and need him to kill it for me.  Seriously.

2. I don't watch a whole lot of TV.  Well other than now with the Olympics on, I'm firmly glued to the TV until late in the evening.

3. I can't stand cringe-worthy comedies.  (ie. Will Ferrell movies) When you know what's going to happen when the character is right on the brink of doing something really stupid/embarrassing/harmful, I just close my eyes and look away.

4. I used to twirl baton.  Yes like the baton teams you see in hometown parades or the majorettes you see in front of marching bands.  I did both, twirled in a team AND was the majorette in my high school marching band. Until I joined the marching band as an instrumentalist.

5. I play the trumpet.  I learned in my Freshman year in high school (to impress a boy I liked who played the trumpet. I can't believe I just admitted that I learned an instrument because of a boy, how lame...but true.)  I ended up being pretty decent at it and continued to play throughout high school into college.

6. I LOVE college football!!!!  This all came from my years of being in my college marching band (see: above).  There is nothing like watching college football games, it is so much better than watching pro football! Why?  Because 99% of the college players will never see a professional career after they graduate, so you know they are playing for pride and from the heart!

7.  Fall is my favorite time of the year.  The cool crisp air, fallen leaves on the ground, decorating for the holidays, college football season (woot, woot!), scarves and hats, hot apple cider.

8. I was born and raised in California.  Bay Area is where I grew up, I lived in so many cities around that area that I just claim the Bay Area as my hometown.

9. I love wearing the color red.  My college friends would hiss at me for saying that, since our rivals are in crimson.  But I can't help it if I look good in red.  ;)

10. I'm allergic to honeydew melon.  Not any other melon, just that one, bizarre I know.  It also makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to have fruit provided anywhere in public, be it a restaurant, catering or private party.  Just think about it, the main fruit filler for any salad or display is...honeydew.  Le sigh.

11. I LOVE rollercoasters!  My family and friends spent summers going to Great America, I had a season pass, it was awesome.  Just couldn't get enough of that adrenaline rush!!

Now onto the questions!
From Amalia:

1.What is your favourite thing about a community you’re a part of (virtual or real life community)?
I love that there is support and dissent, conflict and peace, antagonist and protagonist.  The two sides of any issue, debate or story is important to the outcome. Having likeminded individuals around you is good, but too much is never a good thing. Think of how people who opposed you have forced you to grow, be thankful for that opposition as you may not be where you are now without it.

2. When did you start your hobby (whatever your blog is about) and why? What made you start? 
I started my hobby of running in October 2011.  It was to push myself to do something I never thought I could do or wanted to do.  Then it turned into learning about the fellowship of running and the "tricks of the trade", and then just the plain love of the sport.

3. What is your dream job? 
To be an event planner.  I'm a project manager by nature and trade, so being an event planner/coordinator is a perfect fit. Reading about the BlogHer conventions and having gone to MamaCon in Seattle this year has really inspired me and cemented how much I really would love to have that as my full time job.

4. Do you like caffeinated beverages? What’s your favourite?
Living in the land of Starbucks here, caffeine is a way of life!  My all-time favorite is a hazelnut soy latte.  SO. YUM!

Questions from Sarah:

5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SPORTS TEAM?  HOW DO YOU SHOW THE WORLD YOUR PRIDE?
My favorite sports team is the University of Washington Huskies football team!!  BOW DOWN!!  I have jerseys from previous bowl games that I've been to that I wear to games and have thought about getting a logo "W" tattoo a few years ago; still might do that. ;)  

6. DO YOU WANT/HAVE A BIG OR A SMALL FAMILY?
I have a large family and I want a large family of my own.  I have about 26 aunts and uncles and 50-60 cousins, my family breeds and is big and loud.  I also want to have a number of little ones myself.  I would love to have 3 or 4, but will take how ever many I can have, I'm not getting any younger (or so my mom says).

7. ARE YOU AN EXTROVERT OR AN INTROVERT?
I am a huge introvert, or as I say, introspective.  I was taught at a very young age that you learn more when you are quiet and listen, rather than try to do all the talking.  I can form better opinions and arguments when I'm not the only voice I hear in the conversation.

8. WHO DO YOU LOOK LIKE, YOUR MOM OR YOUR DAD?
I am a blend of my parents, with a lot more of my features coming from my mom.  I have the body structure from my Italian dad (what he calls good peasant stock, great, that translates into me being "thick") and the hair, eye and skin color from my Filipino mom.

Questions from Jesica:

9. Beach or mountains?
Oh tough one.  I love the view from the mountains, but the tranquility of the ocean cannot be matched.  I would say beach.  I can never get enough of the sound of the waves crashing onto the surf.  Just. So. Relaxing!

10. Day or night? 
Again, tough question!  I love the night when I'm in Vegas, but prefer the day when in Hawaii.  I guess it depends on where I am, but if I'm at home I would say night, I ADORE sleep!!!

11.  Favorite item in your refrigerator/pantry? 
Right now I'm digging quinoa.  You can make a batch so quickly and makes putting a meal together super easy!  Also you can have quinoa sweet or savory.  Breakfast quinoa, just do it.  You won't regret it!

12. Lover or a fighter?
I'm a lover, a peacemaker by nature.  However I'm also a Taurus and I will defend and fight for something I believe in with all the fibers in my being.  It's a fight you don't want to be a part of.


Now it is my turn to pick some nominees! You’ve just been tagged! (Most of you might have way more than 200 followers like the award description explains, but I wanted to send you some love anyways!  Now none of you should feel obligated to participate but I'd be honored if you did and I look forward to learning more about all of you!)













My questions for the 11 nominees:

1)  What fuels your desire to run best?  Encouragement or discouragement?

2)  Have you lived in multiple cities?  States?  Where was your favorite?

3)  What was your favorite subject in school and why?

4) What is your proudest achievement to date?

5) Who is your favorite musician/band?

6) What piece of exercise gear (running skirt, compression socks, etc) can you not live without?

7) What do you know now that you wish you had known when you first started running?

8) What is your absolute favorite thing to do?

9) What race is on the top of your bucket list?

10) If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation where would it be and why?

11) Do you have a phobia?


Thank you to the ladies that nominated me and if anything, you all learned something about me and I would love to learn more about you!

No comments:

Post a Comment