Monday, August 6, 2012

Momentum Monday: Mileage

Saturday was my families Annual BBQ where all our family and friends come out and have a day of good food, good laughs and good times.  My parents cook up quite a spread and my sister and I help them out with set up, serving and hosting in general.  It's a long day on our feet, but it's well worth the time we get to spend with good people.

Prior to the prep work of the BBQ, I came over to my parents with the intent on going for my weekend long run and taking my parents dog with me to tire her out before the party.  So my route was an out and back 5 mile run from my parents place.  With my water bottle in hand, fuel tucked into my sports bra and the dog on a leash in hand, I was out the door and heading into the heat for my run.  It was in the low 80's by that time and that is HOT for the PNW!

My goal was to complete the whole 5 miles and get back home to help with the set up.  I had just run the Seafair Torchlight 8K the weekend before, so the mileage didn't seem too much for me to do.  I was just trucking along and about 1/4 of the way done with the route when I realized that I've been going downhill a lot, meaning I've got to climb all of that when I head back.  That's when the doubt started creeping in.  Oh crap, maybe I should stop now and only do half the route! But I told myself no, that I can do this and to keep going.

So when I got to the turn around point I took a minute to get some water and head right back in the direction I'd just come from.  Then as I was starting my first incline it dawned on me, I hadn't taken a walk break during that whole leg out.  I'd gone 2.5 miles without stopping or feel like I was dying and needed to stop.  That little realization just fueled me for the rest of my run, well and my fuel too which I took after that first incline. 

The whole way back I felt like I was flying.  My legs felt great and almost like an out of body experience where I couldn't feel anything, like I was floating.  I ran the whole way back as well, I just couldn't believe it!  It was the most efficient and consistent run I've ever had and I was dragging my parents dog behind me all the while.  Ugh! NOT taking the dog running next time, she is just too slow! HA! Never thought I would say that!

I'm just so thrilled that my body is accepting the mileage, that 5 miles is becoming a distance that my body feels comfortable running.  It is astonishing to me the ability my body has to change and adapt to the training I'm doing, I am awe inspired and can't wait to keep pushing my limits.  Which leads me to todays Momentum Mantra:


I may not be the fastest runner out there, but I'm not going to stop.  I'm going to keep going and pound the pavement to work on increasing my mileage.  I'm so proud at what I've accomplished and I can't wait to keep increasing the distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment