Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Mojo: Starting Over

Well, it's been a while since I've written a Monday post and I've decided to change it up a bit. I usually call it Momentum Monday, but lately I feel like I've been lacking (or downright missing) my mojo. So I've decided to change it to Monday Mojo, because sometimes I need to stoke the fires of my mojo to get me going for the rest of the week! Today is no exception!

It's not a secret that I've been struggling with my running. Inconsistent training, injuries and physical setbacks have kept me from getting out there and logging miles. Then I find that the longer I spend in between runs not running, the less I want to get out there and the easier it gets to make excuses not to run. Which is crazy because I feel better when I run and after I run. Running makes me want to run more and the more I run the better I feel. I always tell myself after every run, "man, I need to remember how good I feel!". 

Now I'm not talking physically because most of the time I'm feeling soreness of some kind. I'm talking about mood. My general well-being. I know I am better after a run. So why is it so hard sometimes to get my ass out on the road. Laziness? Fatigue? Sleepiness? Maybe all of them? I don't know, I just know that I am better in so many ways when I get out there and log some time on the road.

This weekend was difficult for me because I was supposed to race (see: supposed) and it didn't happen. Another blow to my self-esteem. I had to keep myself from running a race I had really looked forward to because of a chronic injury I have, my hips. I'll explain more later when I write up my non-race recap. But I knew that if I pushed my luck I could run the risk of further injuring myself, and possibly irreparably. I can't take that chance, not if I want to continue to run for years to come. So not only was I not able to run, but with all of my friends and social media friends running in big races this weekend, I was constantly being reminded of the one thing I wasn't and couldn't be doing, running.

So today I decided to start working on rebuilding and finding my mojo again. So today's quote is so prevalent for me right now and I need to keep this in mind and ease back into running again.

I am still working on my journey. I have come a long way, but I still have so far to go. I have lost a lot of my progress that had been made over the past couple of years, but I know that I can get it all back if I just keep myself focused and start taking steps towards my goals. 

Though I feel like I'm starting all over again. Starting from scratch. But really I'm not, that is just my mentality right now. My beaten down spirit for letting something I enjoy and take pride in, lapse into complacency and stagnance. I can do this. I know I can. I've done this before. I just need to believe in myself and take that first step.

6 comments:

  1. Girl, I am so glad I'm not alone right now.

    I told Chris the other day that I am terrified to run the Marathon in January. You're not alone, and we can do this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Erin, you are not in this alone. I am terrified of the Marathon in January too. But regardless if I run or walk the 26.2 miles, I will complete it. Completing the race is the journey and the goal. We can do this together!

      Delete
  2. You took the words right out of my mouth. I've been having a hard time getting back into training, I just don't have that motivation to run. As the weeks tick down closer to the WDW marathon, I just need to get out there and go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim it is so hard to get out there when you don't have the motivation. I have tried so many things to get my motivated to get out there and I've come up short every time. I can help motivate you, if you'd like! We can help each other out so that come January, we know we worked hard to get there!

      Delete
  3. Fellow Sweat Pink ambassador here to say don't give up! We all take blows to our self-esteem. The important thing is getting out there and doing it WHEN YOU ARE ABLE, even if it's not quite how you wanted it to be. Self-care comes first and foremost - your injury is your body's way of saying take it easy. Sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My SPA sister, thank you! It's so tough to let yourself heal when all you want to do is be out there with everyone else. it's a slow and arduous journey and I need to keep focused on my PT exercises, my training runs and slowly starting some weights/resistance training. I think adding that last component may help keep my hips and lower back healthier.

      Delete